We begin this article with a harsh truth.
Many people have appreciated the high position and the fat salary, but few really loved the responsibility and this is one of the most important virtues of a leader.
If you have your own business with employees or you are in a manager position, maybe it’s time to think about which category you belong to.
Are you a boss or are you a leader? There is a difference.
Employees listen – out of necessity – to the boss. On the other hand, employees follow the leader because they are inspired by him.
So, in addition to the issue of the quality of your relationships with your employees or subordinates, there is also the issue of the substantial difference in productivity, thus in the overall “coffers” of the company and in the general image of the company to the outside world.
So, let’s get back to the original topic.
What are the 7 invaluable qualities that a leader should have?
- Personality: every leader has strong characteristics, which inspire others’ trust in his vision. The leader himself sets the example with his character and the values that characterize him, such as consistency and passion for his vision. Most leaders radiate a charisma in their path that makes other people care about everything the leader say and do.
- Commitment: if the leader asks his employees/subordinates to show dedication, discipline and concentration for the common good of the company and the accomplishment of the agreed targets, he knows that he must first demand the same from himself. The true leader is committed to take first the step to guarantee the good climate and ideal conditions needed to achieve excellent results.
- Passion: the good leader feels passion for his work, but he is not self-centered, as he shares this passion with all these people who are his team, his partners and his customers. This passion begins from the people, to end, as the ultimate service, for the people.
- Responsibility: a leader without responsibility is not a leader. It’s so simple. One leader knows how to generously distribute congratulations – or even the necessary bonuses – to his team whenever it deserves them. In the same way, he knows how to get in front so as to defend his team in case of a failure or a mistake. After all, he never forgets that a mistake, if properly studied, can be an inspiration as well as a guide.
- Proper listening: a leader is not so fond of talking, because he knows that it is more useful, for him and for his business, to listen. To listen carefully to what his employees / subordinates say, but also to what they do not say, what is the hidden meaning under their words, such as fatigue, frustration or lack of motivation. A good leader knows that he has two ears in order to hear better and he uses both his ears whenever someone is speaking to him.
- Lifelong learning: the leader will never think he knows everything, but he will first ask himself what he needs to learn. He teaches by example to the people around him but he also learns by every person with whom he associates regardless of their age or education. The leader never stays behind. He learns new things like a sponge, and he is not afraid to make changes whenever they are necessary, so as to always stay ahead, guiding others.
- Decisiveness: the leader’s position is ahead. The leader never hides or fears, even when deep inside him he may feel afraid. A leader moves forward dynamically, having a vision, taking responsibility. That’s what every good leader does.
Think about the above 7 values, and answer honestly to yourself which of these values characterize you and which are too far from your own temperament.
If you think that you would like to acquire some of them, to make them your property, then this means that you are already a good leader, because you recognize the most important element: that change starts first from within.
The Business Coaching service is addressed to you who are always looking for the best and who are not afraid to take a step back whenever necessary, to question and regroup yourself so that you can then take many steps forward. With the confidence and the strength of a true leader.